Friday, March 18, 2011

THE MAKING OF UNCLE LOUIE: entry 26

Going to Buffalo, New York for the Buffalo Niagara Film Festival is an event of extraordinary synchronicity. Both my parents were born and raised there. I have many cousins still living there. Lately, I’ve been talking to my cousin, Henry and his wife Carol. Though we haven’t seen each other for a long time, we do remember all the fun we had growing up. We talked about hanging out with our other cousin Michael and tying knives to sticks and hunting imaginary monsters. We vacationed in Buffalo every summer through all of my youth and early teens. We’d take the train out of the Union Station in LA to Chicago, then the New York Central to Buffalo. My grandfather, Angelo, lived across the street from the zoo. The animals made noises in the early morning.

1 comment:

  1. "So...you were a member of the pedestrian posse of Hertel Avenue! Henry and I enjoyed this. My grandfather, Joseph Cardina, owned Cardina's Ice Cream Bar on Parkside near Russell right across from the zoo. He must have known Angelo, as the store was the town square of the neighborhood and was just a few doors from the the Izzo home. I'll have to ask my father, also Joe, about his memories of the Izzo family. He's 90 years old and loves to tell stories about "the store"."

    ReplyDelete