Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Acting

OK , so I lied. But just a little. I said at the the end of my last post for "Uncle Louie" that I would talk about editing some more- and I will. Not just yet though. We'll save that for another time.
I thought I would talk about acting, since I'm not an actor at all!! Stay with me and it'll make sense.

I mentioned earlier that I logged many, many hours behind the camera over the last 25 odd years, but I have never acted. I had a couple of bit parts- a few lines here and there-because the casting people were lazy and forgot to cast a bit part, or I was setting up lighting for a scene, and the director said, "Hey, do this little part for me- I like your "look". Before you know it, I'm being asked to play the lead role in "Uncle Louie". Many of you have commented, "You're pretty damn good at this acting thing"! Well, thanks but I wouldn't know. I guess all the years spent producing, some directing, and setting up shots as a DP, made me aware of what an actor needs to do. Believe me, it ain't as easy as it looks folks.

After shooting scenes for Uncle Louie this past weekend, while I experienced a few moments of frustration on the set, I realized, I should let people know that it's not all fame. fortune, and red carpet walking. It's pretty tough work. I mean, after all, you come here to read about the filming, right? So without sounding lecturous, let me fill you in on a few things.

First comes the memorization. You have to know your lines cold, so it doesn't sound like you're reading them on screen. I've told other would be actors, you have to memorize your lines, then "forget" you memorized them. It has to sound natural. Next, you have to do "the business".
The "business" is the actors natural way of using hands, eye contact, facial expressions, and movements that seem like their own. In natural speech, people always move and give expressions. I'm an Italian-American, and believe me, I know- our hands are always moving when we talk. You see me do this alot in "Uncle Louie". Finally, pacing plays an important part.
I always know a new actor because they deliver their lines or movements too fast. This is due to fear of forgetting the lines or the directors instruction on movement (called blocking). You have to pause at the right times, and give expressions for the proper amount of time to "pace" the dialogue.

Now for some people, acting comes more natural than to others. Anyone can learn, and a good acting teacher can do wonders. Plus it's fun; I had a couple of classes a while back and enjoyed them immensely. Like I said,though, it's not as easy as it looks. Repeating the same lines over maybe five, six, or seven times for each take or camera position can be tiring.

Maybe I'll stay in front of the camera. The technical stuff is fun for me, but it's time for a change.
In fact, there's a joke in Hollywood that all producers want to be directors, all directors want to be actors, and all actors want to be producers. It's the cycle of the film industry. Now , I may be a little old to break into acting, and will probably have to go back behind the camera to make a living- but this "signing autographs", "I'm ready for my close-up", gig of acting isn't half bad.

See you on the set- my agent's calling!

No comments:

Post a Comment