Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Common Thread

I thought I'd bring up a little of my past in order to write about this post. Don't worry- I didn't do anything to animals, kids, or was actually a member of one of the five Mafia families. No, I worked for a man named Sumner Redstone. You may have heard of him- he is the Chairman and CEO of Viacom- the company that owns Paramount Pictures, MTV, Spike TV, TV Land, VH1, Nickelodeon, the parent company of CBS. It goes on and on. Its big. Mr Redstone is passionate about films and his family also owns National Amusements, a company that owns over 1600 movie theaters in the Eastern United States and is the parent company of Viacom.

Now, as I said Mr Redstone is passionate about film. He told me that he wanted to make and distribute films that the public wants. Not what he wants- not what his studio management wants- but what the public wants. What I did for him, or should I say, his company, was screen films for his theater chain. It was my job to give my opinion on new feature film, and save his theater chain alot of money by not having to lease, shall we say the "crap". He told me one thing to look for called "the common thread". How many people by variety of age, politics, social standing, race and all the other demographics, would want to see the film I reviewed. The larger audience it could attract, the more ticket sales- very simple. "We need to hit the common thread he'd say,- a film that has something everyone would want. The emotions that touch all of us. The entertainment values we all seek".

Hollywood, today, seems to be focused on the younger crowd. Lots of special effects, simple (and meaningless) dialogue, and plots that range in the "thrill ride" emotional zone. It's more about getting the audience to wet their pants than jog an emotion. When it comes to the Oscars though,
thankfully the Academy tries to reach a consensus based on more than just this. We may not always agree, but they try. That's why movies like Uncle Louie are still made. Wondering when I was going to get to that, didn't you.

Uncle Louie, I think, hits the common thread. Enjoyable by anyone over 18 (OK, the language, mostly from me), it hits the thread. It makes us think about what happens after we die. It makes us laugh- not wildly like some slapstick comedy-but in a genuine way because it relates the comedy to real life. It has moments of poignancy, and gives us resolve about issues many of may have experienced. That's what makes it so attracting to me; its a great story.

Now, I don't know if the Academy will cast votes for an Oscar for Uncle Louie when it comes out, but if the production values are there, who knows. Even if they're not, the story makes it a movie that can be enjoyed by all. I call it, a comfort movie. People want it because it makes them feel good.

So, Mr. Redstone, I don't work for you anymore, but I say put Uncle Louie on the exhibition schedule for your chain of theaters. You won't lose- and neither will you audience !

1 comment: